Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Do You Do When...


Your daughter dresses herself like this?  Do you make her go right back up to her room to change into something that doesn't change her eyes?  Let her leave it if you're planning to stay in the house for the day anyway?  What if you're going out to the store?  Then what?  What if you are planning on being at a dinner with 200 people, do you let her keep her chosen clothes on?  At least change the mismatched socks? 

If you were at the Kirkland meeting room last Friday night, you know whether I made her change or not.  That afternoon she said "Mommy, do you know why I put this outfit on today?"  "Oh please, do tell!"  I replied.  "Wellll, I knew we were going to dinner at the meeting room tonight and I thought that I should put on something pretty."
And really, who am I to tell her what is pretty?  I'm sure there are days when she is a teenager that I will wish to be seen with her in this very outfit rather than what she'll have on.  And I can think of a dozen specific outfits that I wore that must have hurt my mom's eyes.  And for all I know--this very outfit will be featured in Anthropologie's next catalog.

6 comments:

NaomiG said...

I almost NEVER make my kids change their outfits. They get told what to do at least 1000 times a day--I think that it's perfectly ok to have just ONE thing that they get a 100% say in, all by themselves. The most we ever really say is that they need to be dressed up a little more, or down, or more warmly, or whatever.

She looks adorable. :-)

nicole said...

not so bad really...pattern on pattern is very hip these days...all she needs is stripe to make it to Anthro!!

Lisa J said...

I saw her outfit Friday and thought it was cute. :) Brianna comes up with some pretty crazy ones too...

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anthro for sure ;) hehehe!!! love it, sorry to have missed that one!!!!! ~Cath (really like the answers here...i am chalking this up for future reference and yeah you gotta show this to her though when she's older!!!!!!!)

Kirsten said...

Well, you asked;)...I use moments like these as a teaching opportunity. Two patterns may be beautiful individually, but wearing them together detracts from the prettiness of each. I have a solid/pattern guideline around here for leaving the house. There are STILL plenty of crazy things that fall within the guidelines:). And I don't care if they want to wear their dress-ups clothes to Costco or stuff like that, I just think that instruction in clothing is needed just like it's needed in how to make pancakes.

Honestly, it annoys me when people just let their kids wear whatever. We teach them that the front goes in the front, so why not just teach them that you wear a solid colored bottom with a patterned top??

But, I realize that mine is not a popular opinion:D. And, Caroline is of COURSE adorable no matter what she wears:).

Kirsten said...

Wait, what? "The Crowd" does pattern-on-pattern?? Sigh. Seriously, what on earth...pattern and texture, good. Pattern and pattern...except maybe if one of them is in the form of a pin-striped suit...ARGH. Clearly, there are a lot of people not watching What Not to Wear;)....says the girl who really should be ON that show...:D.

I miss you, too--been wondering if I'll ever see you again;).