Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Morning Tea

Is there anything better than getting to be a stay-at-home-mom and have a tea party with your children? When I was younger I went to Walla Walla to spend a week, or sometimes more, with my Grandpa and Grandma McEvoy. My Grandma spoiled me totally, completely, crazily rotten. She let me pick out a pound of bulk candy to keep in my room in the candy dish. She took me to Baskin Robbin's for a double scoop after reading meeting and prayer meeting--that's right two nights of ice cream (sometimes more too). And she picked a chapter book to read together during each of my stays. One year we read The Open Door from Bible Truth Publishers. It's the story of a young English girl who is crippled for a time after an automobile accident. Her parents leave her on a couch in the front room and allow the door to stay open. She is able to witness to many a soul through her trial. Because the book is English, I was introduced to the concept of having tea twice a day. I loved the idea--and Grandma and I started a tradition. Grandma let me use her good tea pot and cups and patiently sat down to tea twice a day with me during all of my visits until probably age 11. Grandma is Home with Lord now, and I would not wish her back--but I'm SO thankful for my memories of our teas together. I love looking at that special tea pot whenever I get to visit Grandpa. I don't think that I have the patience for twice daily tea parties with my kids : ) But I do enjoy the occasional tea.

To take a trip down a few more Memory Lanes...this tea set done in primary colors was given to Caroline shortly after her birth by our good friend Aunt Ginger. She informed me that she had bought the set clear back when I was pregnant with Ezra : ) And then she saved it until I had a girl (good thing she didn't have to wait long). We never were able to have Aunt Ginger over to share tea with us before we moved away...but hopefully someday she can visit us here and we'll enjoy the privilege!
The plate filled with goodies was given to Caroline as part of a very fancy tea set for her first birthday from Grandpa and Grandma Tractor. One day the tea pot was broken by a member of our family who will remain unnamed. We were very sad. But we can still use the other pieces.
We enjoyed our gourmet tea (apple juice) with strawberries, Pirate's Booty and tootsie rolls.
And the table we enjoyed our tea on was made by Great Grandpa Froese. It was used by many, many, many a grandchild and great-grandchild. When I began teaching first grade, Grandpa and Grandma Froese gave me the table for my classroom. My students loved to sit at it for reading time or for free-write. Now the table is at our house...still being loved and being used after all these years of service.
Anyone who would like to come join us for tea will be welcomed happily....just please call ahead : )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! If we ever make it up there, we'd love to join you for a spot of tea. :)

NaomiG said...

Cute. My girls love tea. :-) They got a plastic tea set, and were SO excited, because the breaking of the ceramic pieces to multitudes of tea sets has traumatized them completely. :-)

Mandy said...

We want to come have tea with you! Tell Kine I want a kiss!

Amy said...

How very fun and with real food too! It is so neat to have pieces of furniture that hold so many memories! We have a few hand me down things that go back a couple generations that I would hate to part with. Great grandpa Froese--which one, he would be a great uncle to me then?